This Blog has moved!

Please go to www.scquest.org

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

After another post about walking along the Themes, we started listening to this book (a librivox.org recording). It was one of my favorites!

Point: The author displays a variety of human personalities at their best and worst. He highlights true friendship and the foolishness of covetousness. He encourages a good life and not merely a busy life.

Path: The reader follows Mole, Rat, Badger and Toad through a series of adventures revealing the strengths and flaws of the individual characters. Whether it is Mole’s first encounter with Badger or Toad’s escapades in the motorcar, the stories pulls the reader along through rich vocabulary and explosive imagery.

Sources: Years of life, an imaginative mind and a cottage along the Thames converge in Grahame’s classic.


Agreement: I greatly enjoyed this fun story and found myself imagining in bold colors and vivid details as I was swept along in the current of the plot.

Disagreement: I was disappointed with Toad’s final outcome. I suppose I shouldn’t expect true repentance from a toad who steals a motorcar, but it would have been better!

Personal App: The faithfulness of Toad’s friends amazed me. I wonder if I would respond in the same way?

It would be worth another read and I would recommend it.

No comments:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philippians 3:8)