This Blog has moved!

Please go to www.scquest.org

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Early Christians Speak by Everett Ferguson


Early Christians Speak, vols 1 and 2
by Everett Ferguson

Point: The early Church fathers can greatly enhance our understanding of Scripture and Church life.
Path:  Ferguson sets up his chapters by providing quotations from the fathers followed by an explanation or summarization, and ending with a bibliography.
Sources: Primary sources, but addresses pertinent secondary sources.
Agreement: I like the format. Seeing the fathers this way is a good way to be introduced to them. Helpful bibliographies.
Disagreement: The fathers are not best read in small snippets, but doing this has made them more accessible.
Personal App: I need to read more of what the fathers had to say. Their devotion and piety challenges my own lack of it.
Stars: 4 out of 5
It would be worth another read and I would recommend it.

No comments:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philippians 3:8)