This Blog has moved!

Please go to www.scquest.org

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dragging someone into court


While working on a study in James 2, I came across an interesting connection. James is dealing with favoritism within the assembly (the word he uses is “synagogue” which is another topic for discussion) and warns against showing favoritism to the rich. 

He argues that: 
  1. The poor have been chosen to be rich in faith
  2. The poor are heirs of the Kingdom
  3. The rich are actually dishonoring those showing favoritism by
    • Oppressing them
    • Dragging them into courts
James, in describing the action of the rich, claims they have been “dragging” them into courts. This word is regularly used to refer to forcefully moving something (a sword in John 18:10 and a net in John 21:6) or someone who will not move (Acts 21:30; 16:19) on their own.
Jesus uses this same expression when referring to our hearts.

John 6:44 - “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.”
John 12:32 - “ And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”
That is a fitting description of what he did for me.

No comments:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philippians 3:8)