This Blog has moved!

Please go to www.scquest.org

Monday, November 5, 2012

Far Above Rubies by MacDonald


Far Above Rubies
by George MacDonald

Point: An excellent wife, though she may take a lifetime to be found, is a treasure beyond comparison.

Path: George MacDonald traces the life of young Hector from his idealistic youth to a mature man. Along the way his eyes are opened by Annie Melville, a parlor maid in his home who outshines any elite in his circle. The story takes shape around difficulties in social status, in-laws, writers block, editors, and a hard life.

Sources: MacDonald shows a thoughtful and realistic understanding of life. He is best known for his allegorical fairytales, but this was sincere and touching.

Agreement: I appreciated this short work by MacDonald more than any of the others I have read. Some may think that it is slow and without a plot, but at points I truly hurt with the characters. The story is simple and the characters normal, but I could feel the fog in which they walked and could see the rainbow lift above.

Disagreement: 

Personal App: While reading this I thanked God for my own wife. She is truly a treasure far above rubies. Just as Annie opened the eyes of Hector, so she has opened my eyes. I am so blessed to be able to walk through life with her at my side.

Favorite Quote: “This is my wife. You cannot see her very well, for, like Hamlet, I wear her ‘in my heart’s core, aye, in my heart of hearts!’”

Stars: 4 out of 5

It would be worth another read and I would recommend it.

If this review was helpful, let me know here

No comments:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philippians 3:8)