This Blog has moved!

Please go to www.scquest.org

Monday, January 21, 2013

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll


Alice in Wonderland
by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson under the pseudonym Lewis Carroll)

Point: Dreams can be life-like and life can be dream-like.

Path: Originally told as a children’s story while rowing on the Isis river, this story was eventually written down and published. Carroll follows an inquisitive Alice down rabbit burrows, through animal homes, flamingo croquet games, under disappearing cats, and back home again.

Sources: Many have suggested ideas for possible illusions and references in this work. The most likely is that Carroll was imagining what a dream would be like in real life.

Agreement: I enjoyed the musings following the book more than the book itself. While reading it everything seemed so disjointed and combobulated - which is exactly the point. After completing the book I found myself pondering reality through through the eyes of a dream.

Personal App: In a dream, extraordinary happenings make sense. Perhaps reality would be a little more exciting if I were to slow down and really think about what I take for granted. There is magic all around.

Favorite Quote: “Alice looked at the jury-box and saw that, in her haste, she had put the Lizard in head downwards, and the poor little thing was waving its tail about in a melancholy way, being quite unable to move.” Moving its tail in a melancholy way! That is funny.

Stars: 4 out of 5

It would be worth another read and I would recommend it.

If this review was helpful, let me know here

No comments:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philippians 3:8)