This Blog has moved!

Please go to www.scquest.org

Monday, January 14, 2013

How to Stay Christian in College by Budziszewski


How to Stay Christian In College
By J. Budziszewski

Point: Attending college does not mean one must reject their faith or stagnate.

Path: The author covers his topic by walking through an introduction, a synopsis on worldviews, a spattering of campus myths, suggestions on how to cope, and a conclusion.

Sources: Budziszewsky writes from his own experience in college, his career as a teacher, and his nurturing of his children through their college experiences.

Agreement: I thought that much of what he was saying would be helpful for a college student. He explained the Gospel. He encouraged involvement in a church. He challenged the reader to grow. 

Disagreement: I think the title and some of the chapter titles are misleading. His actual work is not about “staying Christian” or “coping” but rather growing and thriving. Initially I groaned as I read the introductory material, because it was painted in a negative light (like, “you will slide, but here are some tips for stopping yourself from sliding really far”)
This is more of a complaint about titles (which he may have not been able to choose). The actual work is much better.
There were some other uses of Scripture that I would question, but overall it was fairly good.

Personal App: We must be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Favorite Quote: “Though it always comes as a surprise to intellectuals, there are some forms of stupidity that you must be highly intelligent and educated to commit. God keeps them in His arsenal to pull down mulish pride, and I discovered them all.”

Stars: 3.5 out of 5

It would be worth another read and I would recommend it to someone planning on attending a university.

If this review was helpful, let me know here

No comments:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philippians 3:8)