This Blog has moved!

Please go to www.scquest.org

Monday, July 4, 2011

The Millennials

The Millennials - Connecting to America's Largest Generation
Thom S. Rainer and Jess W. Rainer (Authors)

Point: The generation known as the "Millennials" is composed of those born between 1980 and 2000. This is the generation which could be the greatest agitators of change America has ever seen. They must be seen and understood.

Path:  The two authors, a father and son, interviewed many from this generation. They concluded that although there is no "normal" group of millennials, as a whole they are family focused, looking for guidance from a mentor, dangerously connected to their cell phone and social media, greatly impacted by 9/11, distrusting of the institutions of government and church, instigators of reconciliation, and impatient for change.

Sources: This was compiled through interviews with nearly 1200 "Millennials." There are lots of statistics (if you are an accountant you would love this book) but they also seek to clarify them and make it enjoyably readable for the rest of us. 

Agreement: I personally agreed with many of the sentiments found throughout the generation. My first remembrance of computers is Oregon Trail and Frogger. I vividly remember 9/11. I want to see change. My field of friends is diverse. I look for mentors. I am sick of pride and false humility. I want to be consistent and serious about my beliefs. 

Disagreement: I am not sure that the study is wide enough to solidify all of their arguments, but they have a fairly good base. I wonder if it has occurred to anyone that this Millennial generation is the first "World Generation"?  My generation is composed of not only North Americans, but Europeans, Africans, South Americans, Asians, etc. I also think they were too generous. Although our generation has much potential, the authors did not reckon with the fact that we are completely wrapped up in postmodernism. Truth is at a premium, but no one can agree on what truth is.

Personal App: This book greatly helped me to see what my generation looks like. It has reminded me of my responsibility to look outside of myself, my box, and my little world and look to build relationships with those around me.

Stars: 4 out of 5

It would be worth another read and I would recommend it.

I read this on my iphone, which is humorous if you have read the book. It also is being offered as a free audiobook from christianaudio.com (which, by the way, you need to be frequenting to get the free audiobook every month!)

No comments:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philippians 3:8)